Last Updated: 29,05,2024    Views: 9

Do I need to disclose my disability or SpLD to my department?

We understand that you may have mixed feelings telling us about your disability, long-term health condition, mental health condition or SpLD. However, please be assured that the information you disclose helps the University to be proactive and anticipatory in order to make the reasonable adjustments you require.

Telling us early on will put you in control and help everyone to work together to ensure reasonable adjustments are in place for when you start. This will give you the best possible introduction to university life.

All sensitive information shared between a student and the University is protected in line with the Data Protection Act. Confidentiality is central to our work and the university will not share any information unless we have your written permission. However, in exceptional circumstances, we may be required to pass on information if there is/are:

  • An immediate and serious threat to personal safety or the safety of others
  • A legal requirement to disclose that information
  • Serious concerns about a student’s mental well being
  • Professional fitness to practice issues

You can contact us at any time during your University career to arrange support.

Inclusion Team - Support students with academic support requirements related to disabilities, impairments and medical conditions.
01695 657568

SpLD - Support students with academic support requirements relating to Specific Learning Difficulties such as Dyslexia & Dyspraxia
01695 657526

Live Chat